Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Addiction Recovery

Dear Victor,

I know that you recommend the Celebrate Recovery program for addicts and others who need help. I've been through that and also secular recovery programs. I've been to counseling and tried several other things to overcome my compulsive overeating. But it's been of no help. What can I do to get God to heal me of this awful disease?

Harley F. - Las Vegas, NV

Dear Harley,

You've not really given me enough information to intelligently answer your question. But I'll try my best. The way you're speaking it leads me to suspect that you're misinformed about the problem you have.

Compulsive overeating is typically not so much a disease as it is a sin pattern, rooted in selfishness and/or self-centeredness. I know the world would like us to believe that it's not our fault. (I listen to the commercials too!) But blame and responsibility are two different things.

Quite often we find that God has delivered someone from an addiction, but they continue to behave as if they were an addict. When we get inside their head and analyze the situation, we find that they have received the power to walk away from the addiction. Nevertheless, they are still acting as if they were addicted. Why? Most of the time we find it is because of selfish desires, selfishness, self-centeredness, etc.

If you've truly worked the recovery programs to your best, and are walking in wholeness and fullness of Christ, then the reason you're still compulsively overeating needs to be examined in prayer. Ask God to reveal to you what He sees. It's a request He's usually quite happy to answer!

Finally, please write back and let me know the outcome of this prayer effort. I'll be praying for you, asking God to reveal the truth to you. I care about what you're going through, and am convinced that God doesn't want you to live this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment