Saturday, January 31, 2009

Airplane Seats

Dear Victorious,

This isn’t really a spiritual question, but my husband and I are disagreeing about whether it is okay to recline your seat on an airplane. What do you think?

InFrequent Flyer

Dear InFrequent,

In general, no. Airplanes are cramped and tight. Make it spiritual by looking at the Biblical commandment to “love your neighbor as yourself.” You wouldn’t want someone else’s head in your lap for three hours – so close that you can count the hair follicles. So don’t do it to someone else.

If you simply must recline, then have the courtesy to turn to the person behind you and ask their permission. “Pardon me. Would you mind if I recline my seat.” If they don’t mind, then recline and be sure to thank them at the end of the flight. If they do mind, then don’t recline it. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Bet you didn’t know reclining airplane seats could be such a Biblical topic!

No comments:

Post a Comment